Topic: Technology-How do we keep up in the classroom?
Despite the
fact that I would describe myself as a “digital native,” and the daily use of
technology is very prominent in my generation, I can honestly say that I often
get lost in confusion when dealing with a majority of technology today. I’m sure many others who are even mildly
“tech-savvy” find themselves in the exact same boat. So, how does this happen
to so many of us? Well, technology has expanded in so many different directions
that the branches of a tree could hardly represent every trend it’s taken. The
current pace of technological changes is constant and rapid. It’s thrusting doors of
opportunity open, but at the same time it’s formulating many challenges. Now, the trouble of
schools and their educators is developing the classroom on the opportunities technology offers while struggling to stay in the continuous flow of new trends.
There exists
a “digital divide” in schools because of the rapid evolution of these
educational technologies. An online article by Education Week states, “schools
are forever playing technological catch up as digital innovations emerge that
require upgrading schools’ technological infrastructure and building new
professional development programs”(Education Week, Sept. 1, 2011). It’s always
going to be a learning process for teachers and students alike. Therefore, both
should stay open to all the possibilities.
Thus, I
believe that technology should be a tool used wisely and sparingly in the
classroom. Obviously, in the past education has been successful with simply a
piece of chalk and a board, and even though innovations such as the computer have become
more prominent in today’s classrooms, education can still achieve its objectives
without the “newest” technology. However, I think that it is important for teachers to alter their sometimes hostile attitudes towards educational technology. It is key for educators to view it primarily as a classroom enhancement tool. There are so many
aspects of social networking, blogging, cloud-based applications, and online tools that increase the educational opportunities and breach the boundaries of the classroom. The trick is to utilize them well, and remain open to what they have to offer. This technological race is not going to slow down any time soon, so educators need to be some of the first ones to embrace the qualities it can add to a classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment