Friday, February 10, 2012

Entry written by: Light


     Recently in class we have discussed the possibilities in the classroom with online resources. Whether it be through the school’s website or an outside source, posting assignments, grading assignments, or reminding students of upcoming events online can be extremely useful. The main tool offered online that really caught my attention for the first time was none other than Google Documents.
     Google Documents took me by surprise because I did not think it was anything more than Word Documents except for it being online. Upon my beginning to use it, I quickly realized that it is so much more. Through this free program, I can set up WebPages, create spreadsheets and forms for specific classes, or E-mail documents I have written online directly to parents because the program is linked with my Google account. One specific reason I liked Google Docs so much though, is the possibility it allows for students to write up an assignment and turn it directly into the teacher with little to no hassle at all. Microsoft Office/Office Mac are both extremely expensive programs, and some students simply cannot afford them. Google Docs is completely accessible, and allows users to have all the benefits of the previously mentioned programs for free. The only question I could think of left to ask is, “When do we start letting our students use this program?”
      Despite Google giving teachers this wonderful tool that can help shorten grading time and stacks of paper, perhaps teachers in the elementary level should hold off on assigning their young students things online. My fear is that they would become too reliant on technology at an extremely young age, which is not always a healthy thing. As kids get older, more mature, and more responsible, the world of internet technology for educational purposes seems more appropriate to be brought in to their curriculum than when they are still really young. I would vote for Google docs to be implemented into schools, but only for middle school levels and above.
     Overall, I like this online tool for education. It allows contacting students and parents alike at a faster and more efficient rate than I would have thought possible. While some may disagree with me on the age of apporopriateness, the main important issue is that no matter when, we should get this implemented into our teaching. Google Documents really offers a lot for teachers and students alike, and I am excited to use this program as I further my career in the field of education.

No comments:

Post a Comment