Friday, February 10, 2012

Blog #1

Topic: The Downfalls of using Technology in the Classroom

When I think about technology in school growing up, I think of overheads, stereos and cassette players, a limited amount of computers in the lab that we occassionally went to. Most of class was on a chalkboard and you had to actually pay attention to the teacher in class because you couldn't be sent the documents used for the lectures without handwritten copies that were copied. In order to learn things, we actually had projects to do, had to be creative, had to be actively involved with what was going on in the classroome. All of that changed as technology advanced.

I think that it is a good thing to use technology in the classroom, however, I think that at the same time, there are some negative effects depending too much on technology. Although businesses depend a lot on technological use and kids now get more fun out of technology, I think that basic skills are compromised. Most people now use technology to check their grammar and spelling, so much so that if they were to write it, they wouldn't know it. In classrooms growing up, one of my favorite activities was writing. I learned more making mistakes and seeing the corrections that were made than I do from having a computer automatically correct everything almost instantly.

Being admist this shift in culture, it is more apparent that one of the challenges we will face will be what is essential in social relationships.I think with technology, social life is reduced. Though it is a good thing that people are more comfortable to speak their minds and share their opinions, it is much easier to have a thriving relationship online and then be a complete stranger in real life. Why is that? This is something that we will have to address in public schools because what is said online makes more of a difference than it just being said in person. Someone may not say a thing that is on their mind in person, but online they let it all out and it is in writing. I think that it is an excellent tool for communication and seeing thought processes, but it makes communicating in person a bigger problem.

Participation and stage fright are already intimidations and challenges in a classroom, but reducing the comfortability to ask questions in a group or face to face makes this an even bigger challenge. I must admit though, technology makes it possible to address any questions and to pass the information on to everyone at almost anytime. The introduction says that "Anyone used to interacting with objects and others to get information on a daily basis cannot learn by sitting still and listening to someone at the front of the room spout facts." (p. 9) Even here at chapel it is difficult to listen to a speaker and if it is difficult now, it is much more difficult to the younger generations. It is great to use technology in the classroom, but there are still downfalls to using technology that need to be addressed in order for it to be used effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment