To be honest with you, I have never blogged a single time in my whole 20-year-old life, and I never would have if it weren’t for this class. Before this class, I used to think blogs were pointless and just way for people to annoyingly rant about their life, so they could get everything out in the open. After reading “Web 2.0 how to for educators” I have found a whole new appreciation for blogs and how they can be useful in the classroom setting. “Blogs encourage writers and responders to develop thinking, analytical, and communication skills” (Web 2.0 how to for educators). This quote alone changes my perspective on blogging, and makes me believe that blogs can be beneficial to not only the author of the blog, but the person reading the blog for it can expand their level of thinking and cause them to think analytically.
For one thing, blogs aren’t lengthy (like most books) so it keeps your attention. Nowadays most people are turned off from reading books because they have so many pages, but a short and entertaining blog can keep the attention of an interested reader. Blogs can include photos, links to other websites, and a place to leave your comment, which will entertain the reader but also make them, think inquisitively and analytically, which sharpens one’s mind. I believe teachers should have their students write blog about certain subjects that were discussed in class, as well as current events so the teacher keeps the students’ mind sharp.
Communication in the classroom is key, and a beneficial way to teach your students communication is through blogging. Let’s say a teacher assigns a blog assignment to the class, and requires each student to comment on at least one students’ blog; imagine how much each student would learn from each other. Students and teachers alike will get a lot out of writing down their own ideas, and having everyone else dissect and give a critical analysis of each other’s blog will broaden their knowledge horizon. It can also give each student an argumentative mind, which will bode well in the future when they need to do future work assignments either in school or in the work force.
All in all, writing blogs can be beneficial for both students and teachers alike. Whether you are a student in the classroom or an average human being who enjoys writing your thoughts on the internet. Writing blogs is an entertaining yet beneficial way to communicate profound thoughts and ideas. At first, I was against blogs, but now that we have discussed the benefits of writing blogs in class and reading it in the book, I have come to appreciate blogging. When I finally graduate and have a class of my own, I’m going to find ways to incorporate blogging in my class, because it will build communication skills, which will be handy for the student in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment